So far today has been a good day. Laila is going to have her pacing wires taken out tomorrow. They feel that her heart rhythm is stable and she is ready. Her chest tubes are draining, but it seems they have slowed somewhat. They are increasing her Lasix. They took a sample of the fluid and sent it off to see if perhaps she needs to have her diet adjusted. Hoping we do not have to go fat free! That will be hard!! I will have to hide in the bathroom to eat chocolate. eeeek!
We should know pretty soon what will happen with that.
Something really cool happened today. WAY back when we were paperchasing for Laila we were working with an agency here in Houston to do the homestudy. This was a very reputable agency in the China Adoption community. A small agency, but I had checked a few references whom were pleased with them. Anyway after we paid in full for our homestudy and had one visit with the social worker they closed their doors. We didn't get a completed homestudy and they decided that the would only give a partial refund. If you have paid for a Hague homestudy you know that its quite expensive. At the time I was distraught because we lost some PRECIOUS paperchasing time. No adoptive parent wants that to happen. Nobody wants the child they are matched with to spend any extra days in an orphanage without a family. Well a good blogging friend of mine, Nicole told me then that there was a reason that I just didn't know yet. She said perhaps this new social worker/ new homestudy agency was going to be someone I needed to meet. So it was very ironic when we were matched with a new social worker and she asked us what was Laila's special need. I told her Laila had a heart defect and basically she told me her daughter did as well. Throughout the process she was able to give us valuable tips about surgery and this hospital. Her daughter has had 2 surgeries here. Well lo and behold this month we are having to send in a post placement report to China. We needed to meet in person and she has to visually see Laila and interview us. Well home is 2 hours away. So how was that gonna happen? Ironically enough her daughter had an appt for a procedure today, HERE! So she came by and we were able to talk. How cool is it that we got a social worker visit here? Then her daughter and husband came up to meet Laila. It was great to chit chat about surgery and surgeons. We both joked about how crazy it was the day before surgery and the worry that you will get cancelled. They did twice! It is such an emotional build up to prepare yourself for your child's heart surgery. Not only do you prepare yourself, but you make preparations to be away from home for a long period of time, and unknown amount of time....Its definitely not for the faint of heart (no pun intended) Before they left her husband asked if he could pray for Laila. He knelt down and held her hand and said a prayer that I pray God answers.
Laila is cracking me up today. They have a channel her at TCH about medical stuff. Its about taking care of children with a trach. She has watched it about 30 times. She is totally mesmerized by it! Funny girl!
Oh and next door we have some new neighbors. The walls are THIN and last night I got to listen to all sorts of bodily functions ;) and some convos I know they probably wouldnt have willingly wanted a stranger to hear! eeek! I finally found myself some earplugs thank goodness! Its so crazy staying so long in a hospital. Its weird when you get a routine here. The hardest part to me is nighttime. I am not one to like to sleep in public! To me sleeping is vulnerable and I am not one to show that side! Its funny how when they come in to do vitals at night I feel like I should be awake. Who me? Sleeping?? Nooo I am like a vampire or something?? haha! Obviously you have to sleep though. I try to be up and somewhat coherent by the time the Drs make rounds. Today someone from surgery came by around 5:30am. Its just losing dignity in a way. Kinda comparable to the long flight to China. You basically have to lose your dignity to sleep so close to a total stranger most likely and ask someone else a zillion times to move their legs so you can squeeze by to go pee...again..and again... :) I will be so ready to go home to privacy!!! Hopefully the added Lasix will help!!!
Yeah tomorrow is Friday! Jarrod and Krissy will be coming back! :) :)
Oh my goodness. I can so relate to the hospital and losing dignity! I tried to sleep in track pants and stuff, so at least if they came by that early I would be *dressed*. I am thankful VCH has private rooms throughout even in PICU, though in there the walls are glass and can be opened so the nurses can watch two patients momentarily if necessary for a potty break (for the nurses).
ReplyDeleteI think it sounds like Laila is progressing well! I know it is hard to see that from where you sit but things are moving along slow and steady. Here's hoping next week if her week to get the EXIT CARD!!!
And amazing about your SW. How just like God!!!