Houston we have PINK!!! :)I wanted to post last night but my brain was fried! I had a million thoughts and I didn't have the ability to put it on paper. (or blog!)
Yesterday Laila had a VERY long surgery. What should have been about 8 hours turned into 12. The first part of the surgery was the AV valve repair. The surgeon worked for a LONG time on the valve and the PA came out and told us it was done. Then one and a half hour later she came back and said he wasn't happy with it and he was redoing it. After that was the Fontan time. We were praying it would be an extracardiac Fontan because it is much less invasive. Laila was able to have it done this way. The surgeon did not do the Fenestration. He explained to us why he didn't and I can't remember exactly what he said but it will come back to me. After the Fontan was done the PA came back and told us that the surgeon wanted to tell us that "he got his butt kicked by our 7 year old!" He was whooped! Because Laila has Heterotaxy her organs are affected and in the wrong places. Her liver is behind her belly button and she doesn't have a spleen. The big issue is that her heart is in a very strange position. The surgeon said once he got in he was not able to see the atrial area. He had to almost get up in her neck. Before surgery he was so serious, all business.... Anyway afterward he told us that he was accustomed to performing long surgeries, but at least he was able to see what he was doing most of the time!! They gave us an analogy of what it was like to work on Laila with her Heterotaxy. Basically when we want to talk in Mandarin we have to think of the English word and then we think of the matching Mandarin word. So it was harder to work on the fly. A lot of thinking and double thinking.
After surgery we got to see Laila. It was a lot harder to see her and soak it all in. She is stable however. They do have her on pacing wires because her heartrate is very erractic. She has 3 chest tubes. She is on the ventilator at 50%. But she is PINK. Wow I never realized how purple she was. I didn't believe she would get pink until I saw it with my own eyes. Total amazement and I cannot wait for everyone to see!
Laila is responding to us even though she is still sedated somewhat. You can see in her eyes that she knows what it going on and she probably wants to bust out of there! Hopefully her ICU stay will only be a few days......
Ok thats my update... back to Laila..... :)
If you are praying for Laila thank you! Pray that she is able to come off her pacing wires and that she will get to come off the vent today....
I am so glad it went well. Saying prayers that Laila keeps getting pinker and stronger faster. My daughter will be having her Fontan this summer.
ReplyDeletePRAISE GOD!!! So thrilled and still praying for Laila and her family. I love your surgeon's attitude. Sounds like someone I'd want working on my child's heart and he sounds similar to our cardio-thoracic surgeon.
ReplyDeleteYeah for no fenestration! That is great news! Our DD had to have it though they hoped she wouldn't. Now though it is closed (via cath) and she is doing great. Glad you could at least skip that step! And I LOVE the pink toes!!!
Sitting here crying as I think of all you've been through and how wonderful it must be to see your pink girl! I will continue to keep her in my prayers.
ReplyDeleteJill G (from the China Heart group)
Congratulations on the outcome of surgery. So good to hear of another heart success. You will be amazed at how quickly she comes around, especially after the chest tubes come out. Praying for continued healing!
ReplyDeleteSuzette
Praise GOD! I will continue to lift Laila up in prayer. Blessings! Danae
ReplyDeleteWe are remembering Laila in our prayers. She couldn't be in a better place. We LOVE Texas Children's!
ReplyDeleteI'm just nearly in tears reading this update!!! I have been thinking about you guys constantly! I'm so thankful the surgery is over and now it's on to healing. Sounds like the surgeon was pretty darn amazing. :) Truly a blessing to be so close to TCH.
ReplyDeleteNikki