My Blog List

My Blog List

Our family

Our family

Total Pageviews

Monday, September 13, 2010

Laila's appointment today


Today we took Laila to see her cardiologist again while we are waiting for her heart cath which has been rescheduled for October 4. One of her medicines causes her tummy to be upset so much that we have to stay near the bathroom after she takes it and sometimes it will affect her all day. Today was a bad tummy ache day!! But they took her off that medicine for now. We found out a little more about Laila's heart heart rhythm abnormality. She has Supraventricular Tachycardia (SVT) and they are going to go in during her cath and do an EP study to find out what is causing the SVT. If they can find it they will do an ablation procedure where they can correct it in the cath lab. If not it will be something that will have to be corrected through open heart surgery and hopefully it can be done when she has her Fontan. There are several different types of SVT and I asked the Dr if he knew what type SVT she had and he gave me a good analogy. He told me that its kinda like saying "I wear glasses" but you do not know what the reason the person is wearing the glasses for. Nearsighted? Farsighted? SVT is the same in that there are reasons why it is happening with Laila. I have googled it (sometimes a good thing and most of the time a bad thing!!!) and we are praying its one of the easier and more treatable forms of SVT. We are also praying her pressures are good and she will be able to have the Fontan. I asked her cardiologist today if he thought she was a good candidate for the Fontan surgery and he said they do not like to speculate, but very few people are deemed inoperable. That made me feel good. I have noticed in the past few weeks that Laila's hands are no longer freezing! Her feet and hands used to feel like pure ice, but now they feel warmer. Overall she is doing good considering her condition.

Attachment wise... Things are progressing. I think its definitely a work in progress. I am starting to look back and just now I can realize the child she was IN CHINA is so different than the child she is today. In China she went along with everything and I thought my goodness she was too easy. I think about how she carried her backpack around everyday and put on every single piece of jewelry and now I think I know why she did it. She was afraid she would not go back to the hotel to get it. Her world had been turned upside down. Her English has improved and she has told me that she was scared that day. It sounds like the day she flew to Xining she was surprised and it was a rush! I still cannot imagine how hard it was for her and how well she went along with everything. She is able to express so many things to us and many times I know she is looking at us and wanting to gauge our response. She wants to know if we would be sad if she was not here. One thing that has been a surprise is that all of a sudden she is speaking Chinese to us and teaching us Chinese words. Upon arrival in the US she rejected her Mandarin interpreter to the point that she wouldn't even look at her. She is proud to teach us words and she has been talking about children she lived with and telling us how to say their Chinese names.

One really cool thing happened today I just have to post! We were at TCH and we were just about to leave and Laila decided she needed a snack so we headed to the food court. She picked a pink piece of cake and some fruit. :) Anyway we started walking to our seat and I hear my name "Brandee!!!" and I looked over and it was a lady whose daughter just came home from China this past Saturday! She was there with her daughter getting her international adoption exam. We were both with the same agency and we both got LOA on the same day this past March. We initially would have traveled together, but unfortunately her daughter in China passed away. Her family moved forward to adopt another little girl and now she is a part of her forever family! Its amazing how God has planned things for us. I am so glad I got to meet them both today! Such a cool red thread moment!!! :) A huge city, a huge hospital, and to run into someone like that!!! Her daughter spoke fluent Mandarin and I wish I could have gotten Laila to talk to her, but Laila was being shy!! Go figure :) :) Maybe next time!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment