My Blog List

My Blog List

Our family

Our family

Total Pageviews

Thursday, September 16, 2010

I am impressed!


I have been homeschooling Laila and so far its going pretty good. I really am just so impressed with the education she received in China. Laila is probably a little between kindergarten and first grade level. In China she would totally be able to do first grade work, but she is learning a new language on top of everything!!! Yesterday she was playing around when it was time to review her spelling words. I was planning to test her on them on Friday (just like traditional school). Well when she was wanting to do everything except her homework I told her we would go ahead and try the test. Imagine my surprise when she aced it! I was shocked to say the least. This is a child who has been home from China for a little over 2 months. She was an orphan in China who did not speak English!! It is so obvious that education is a BIG priority in China. The only thing she has trouble with is grasping concepts of things. For example a picture of a barn. She doesn't really understand that certain things go in a barn and certain things would go in a house. I attribute that to not being able to go out and explore and ask questions. She is learning everything in a totally new language. Its mind boggling to me the things she is expected to do. I remember all too vividly how I longed to be home in the USA so I would understand and be able to communicate. Don't get me wrong I LOVED China!!! But there were times I felt lost and wanted to know what was going on!! For example I wanted to understand what the flight attendants were saying when everyone was panicking and grabbing their seat belts. Times like that I wished I would have known some Mandarin!!! Here is Laila though going along with us and soaking it all in. Sometimes she has her 'moments' but I need to remind myself of everything she is going through. She is one amazing little girl who surprises me everyday!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for your blog comments while we were in China! It was fun to be communicating with home! I just added myself as a follower of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been 2 months!! It feels like forever ago...man o man

    ReplyDelete