We are officially logged in! Now we are waiting on LOA. Its getting close, but still feels so far away! I posted this on my facebook sometime ago and wanted to share it here. Yesterday was our 14th anniversary. So thankful for my husband Jarrod!
14 years ago I went on my first date with my now husband, Jarrod... I remember riding around and chatting and just goofing off. I ended up saying "that's retarded"... Immediately Jarrod pretty much parked the vehicle and told me how he could not stand to hear people say that word. It was highly offensive to him. That moment stuck with me and I never said that word again. In fact I would cringe inside hearing others say it because I remember how offensive it was to my husband, whom I had fallen deeply in love with and respected. I know many people say that word without thinking. It's a habit or whatever, but there are enough words in the English vocabulary we should find a new one. The R word can really cut to the bone for those who have someone in their family or love someone with Down Syndrome... Back to my husband...He always had a soft spot for people with Down Syndrome. I never knew what God intended to do with that... It softened me too and all the while God was working on us... After adopting Laila I knew there was another child for us in China. Ok so pretty much when I stepped off of the plane in China I knew we would go back. I remember us both saying we could never go through another heart surgery. Its the scariest thing imaginable. When it was time God showed us the child intended for us. This child needed heart surgery and also has Down Syndrome. I remember sitting down for what I expected to be a long discussion or multiple discussions about adopting a child who would need lifelong care. Jarrod was the first one to say that maybe an empty nest isn't all that is cracked up to be and that was it. We were in agreement! So we decided to take the step to adopt Riley even with the fear of heart surgery so fresh on our minds. After we committed our hearts to her we found out her heart was repaired in China and she is doing well. We are very excited to welcome her into our family. The girls are very excited too! They understand Down Syndrome as best as their young minds can. Just last week I heard them in the backseat arguing over who Riley will live with when Jarrod and I are too old to be fun to live with.. Lol! I love how kids think. Now I know why God made my husband like he did. My husband is willing to go to China without me and bring Riley home. I feel like the luckiest person alive. This is our happily ever after... With all that said I think we owe it to our kids to explain to them that the R word is not ok. We should teach them that everyone is created in the image of God and no one is less than. They won't know unless we teach them..
Praying soon we can have Riley in our arms!

wow! yall are remarkable. Im so glad my daughter was on your softball team a few years ago. Such a wonderful family and Riley is going to make it that much better. Jarrod is one in a million not many husbands would have the personality and qualities that he has you are one lucky lady! he is also just as lucky because you are beautiful on the outside that's obvious but your even more beautiful on the inside and not many women are both. Thank yall for making this world a better place!
ReplyDelete