
Today we got the call. I answered the phone and the individual on the other end introduced herself as someone with TX Children's Heart Surgery Center. I was immediately like OK you have my attention!! Surgery?!?! I am all ears now! We were told that the surgeon wants to meet with us next Thursday. I was still in shock because we were given such bad news last week. Overall its still up in the air exactly what the surgery will be, but he feels that it is best to try to correct as much as possible in one surgery. If not it would be a series of surgeries. As far as timing, they think it is best to do it really soon given the fact that Laila is almost 7. SO they wanted me to get her teeth checked at the clinic at the hospital where the surgery will be performed at. If Laila needs dental work and she needs anesthesia then she needs to be seen someone very skilled with using anesthesia on a child with low O2 sats and her heart defects. I was warned that IT WOULD TAKE FOREVER TO GET AN APPOINTMENT at this dentist. It was definitely going to be an obstacle to getting surgery soon as they hoped. So as soon as I got off the phone I called the dental clinic. The receptionist said
"Hmmm we are really booked up" and
"Let me put you on hold and look at what we have"
Then literally 10 seconds later she comes back and asks me if I can be there tomorrow? REALLY! Isn't that crazy? God totally opened that up for Laila.
So now tomorrow we are off to have her 2 small cavities looked at to see if they pose a risk for infection. If they do then we will get them fixed before surgery.
It all happened so fast. I am so happy and so scared at the same time. Its a feeling I cannot describe, but I know that this is really her only option. They stressed to me that she is in great need of this surgery. I am so glad that right now we have REAL hope that she will one day get to lead a long and happy life. Possible freedom from all the medicines and freedom from her body not being able to do the things she wants it to do. So many kids in China never will have this opportunity. Laila is truly a miracle.
SO Glad I got to post something happy!!! :)
Brandee,
ReplyDeleteThat is wonderful news! Let Shana know the next time you are in town and we will meet you at the zoo in the medical center for some fun with all the girls!
Nicole